Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Lesson 8: Chinese homographs

Learning Mandarin Chinese is really, really difficult especially when it comes to reading! For example, guān (close as in "close the door") 关 looks like Tiān (sky) 天.

Since I started on this journey towards recognizing 100 Chinese characters, I find that there is just so much to learn if you want to read anything in Chinese :S

I've just bought a bunch of flashcards for the kids, which we use to recognize 10-20 basic Chinese characters that are needed to progress in Chinese. After we switched his preschools, I find that he's speaking more in English and getting behind in Chinese!

Due to this, I wonder if we should even consider a Chinese primary school later.

By the way, I just learned that the same guān 关, which means "to close" or "to shut" can also be found in 关於 guān yú, which means "concerning" O_O

No comments:

Post a Comment