Many EFL/ESL students grow up in a rote-learning environment where:
- the teachers give instructions and students listen and take notes
- exercises/worksheets are the rule of the day,
- students (or teachers) are not accustomed to asking questions in class,
- independent study is an alient concept
- the concept of plagiarism is aka "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".
Without giving too much away, you'll find vocabulary exercises, discussion questions and role plays on various topics.
I'd only used a few sections from the books but the advanced level students REALLY enjoyed the activities!