Saturday, December 19, 2015

My First Poem - "Karipap"

Recently, I attended a poetry workshop, of which I honestly had no idea what to expect.

Needless to say, the facilitator foreshadowed the feelings of apprehension (?) I felt, which were reminiscent of my feelings of courses like postcolonial literature in English.

I enjoy poems, singing and all matters of rhyme but somehow, I just CANNOT write a poem.

Even during the other activities, I lacked inspiration especially as others around me were sharing deep and profound feelings about anger, broken relationships, false friendships, hate...

I was thinking and thinking, "What can I write about?"

The only thing I can wax lyrical about is FOOD, for which I crafted my first acrostic poem:

Flavourful
Oohs and
Oodles of
Delight

In another activity called "Sense Poems", he gave us stems and I was inspired to pen this off in a few minutes:

When I think of a curry puff,
I can see the crimps and the curves,
I can smell the curry leaves,
I can taste the savoury bits,
Oh, the love of a karipap!

Thank you for this opportunity to express myself, for the first time, in poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment